View Single Post
Old 02-24-2023, 01:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Good article. All of this matches what I’ve read elsewhere—that the “bogus” band was indeed bogus but that they were quite a good group of musicians.

I give people like Rex Rutoski a lot of credit for knowing and respecting the authentic lineup enough to know the difference.

Clifford Davis was a bully—and a bit of a thug. Dave Walker recounts a time when, backstage after a show where the band dropped the ball during their encore, he viciously laid into them.
This article quotes Elmer Gantry's recollections of the set-up of the supposedly "fake" Mac

https://pleasekillme.com/fakewood-mac/

In a 2017 BBC Radio interview, Gantry and Gregory confirmed that they were indeed told by Davis that they were forming the new Fleetwood Mac. But they alleged that Fleetwood’s involvement in the project went much further than what Fleetwood described in his autobiography. Gantry said, “Mick Fleetwood came to our house and we talked through the new band, and it all seemed fine. Mick said, well, I can’t actually come and rehearse with you, it was fairly imminent going to America to tour, but if you get [a temporary] drummer, I’ll join you for the tour.” He added that he had recently seen “court papers from the 1970s” in which Fleetwood testified that this meeting had taken place. Gregory said that he and Gantry had played Little Feat’s ‘Dixie Chicken’ to Fleetwood as an example of the type of music they liked, and that Fleetwood gave his approval to the set list of Fleetwood Mac numbers they had chosen.

[That interview can be acccessed here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p04z7cg6}

If Elmer Gantry had indeed seen “court papers from the 1970s” in which Mick, presumably under oath, had confirmed this, this would presumably give him licence to talk about the whole shenanigans openly.