Thread: Time
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2014, 07:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post
Off the top of my head I remember that Dave Mason was in a beat type group The Hellions about when Mick was in The Cheynes, maybe their paths crossed a fair bit starting then. When he was with Traffic they were famous for going out into the country communally living and working to get their sound together, which example FM followed at Kiln House and then Kinfauns. Dave never quite jelled with Traffic and left, and returned, and left again. Not surprising he didn't fit in Fleetwood Mac really either. Not really a group kind of person it would seem, he wrote alone and just needed others to record, that sort of situation.

He had some fairly sizable hit compositions... Feelin' All Right and Hole In My Shoe with Traffic. You Can All Join In was also popular. Solo he charted with his 'Alone Together' album on the Blue Thumb label (home also of Love and Dan Hicks at the time among others) and We Just Disagree got lots of airplay in the late '70s. He also played second guitar on some Jimi Hendrix sessions.

The album with Cass is a gem I think but have seen it totally slagged by some, if nothing else it has it's own unique sound in a sea of early '70s conformity, and some genuinely interesting lyrics that would have been at home on a Television album. I'd never part with it myself!

The Mamas & Papas really set the bar high for self-destructive behaviours it's true, Buckingham and Nicks are fly weights really next to Papa John finding Mama Michelle in bed with Papa Denny shortly after they'd signed a multi album deal with Dunhill. Cass had a thing for Denny who just about killed himself in a drunken motorcycle accident the next day (and you can see his chest bandage in some early promo photos). All this before the first album release. Basically Cass got out of there as soon as possible which was having fulfilled the Dunhill contract (only they added a fifth album on to it and she had to go back). John almost killed her making her do endless takes in the studio, and the pressure to diet on top. The same people helped kill Karen Carpenter is all I can say.
To add to the drama, Michelle was fired from the group soon after the success of their first album because she was ****ing around with The Byrd's Gene Clark. They did a few shows and started recording a new album with her replacement , Jill Gibson, their producer Lou Adler's girlfriend. They even had an album cover mocked up with Jill in it. Michelle begged her way back into the group. The resulting album has vocals with both Michelle and Jill. And Cass got busted for bringing pot to the UK, and their shows there were cancelled. She died, while on a solo tour in London in the same apartment Keith Moon died in years later.

Two years later, after they had all gone their separate ways, each of them was sued for a million dollars because they walked away from their record contract while owing the company one more album. They had to regroup one more time to avoid the law suit. What really sucks for fans is that there are no bootleg recordings of any of their live shows (which were very few in their short-live career -about 35 concert appearances in total). There is hardly any information about their shows, tour schedules, set lists, reviews etc...only one or two photos of them on stage.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 09-02-2014 at 07:33 PM..