View Single Post
Old 01-15-2009, 05:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansven View Post
Well, when it comes to guitar solos I've never had any trouble spotting Peter .. the only exception being a couple of tracks on "In The Skies". On the rest of the 80s albums it's mainly Peter on lead. With the Splinter Group it was easy, because Peter and Nigel had very different styles. If you go waaaay back on this forum there are threads where we "solve" the guitar issues of the SG records, and I'd say we are 99.9 percent correct
I'm not so sure about those "solvings" my friend. I'm 99.9 percent certain you and others may be fooling yourselves with such clarity. Snowy and Nigel have both mastered the art of imitation, it's been part of their jobs. That trump card can be pulled out as needed. I won't try to debate on just how much of PG you're hearing at any given time in the post Mac recordings, but trust me it's not always as black and white as it may seem, and far from a duckshoot to decipher. Those who think it is are into wishful thinking. The same can be said for Danny Kirwan years earlier, who possessed the talent to trade licks with - and imitate in many ways - Pete at the end. Did you see the reaction I got when I parlayed that notion in an earlier thread here? There are folks who still think that the lion's share of what they're hearing on Then Play On is PG, when in fact it isn't.

I realize many don't appreciate or understand how good Danny had gotten by the end, since he has traditionally been relegated to taking up space in Peter's shadow, with both the public at large and per many music critics. He first took to Green as something of a mentor, but also brought a prodigious arsenal of his own to the table. As time went on, Danny enjoyed getting in Peter's face at times, his head really, so there was part intimidation, part rivalry, part compliment and part admiration going on all at once. The two came to rely on each other, hinged in a competitive framing, but it brought out the best in each. Some have tried to portray DK's role as being that of a convenient foil, but it was far more than that, and far closer to a push-n-pull partnership. When PG went down, part of DK went with him. That match made in heaven went the way of the inferno instead.