View Single Post
Old 11-02-2021, 07:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
Ask Anybody has long been a top favorite of mine.

The bridge on Only is a refreshing point of interest in an otherwise dreary track. The words languid and tepid come to mind. It's a sister song to Tepid Ways.

The lyric in Only is mostly too ditzy.
The lyric in AA has more maturity, a dark edge.

"They'll say I'm going wrong" vs "They say I'm a silly girl"

But mainly I just prefer the music in AA. Winwood for the win.

And as jbrownsjr notes, Ask is deliciously lengthy at over 5 mins, such a rarity for a Chris track.
The brilliance of Only Over You is in the lyric department. If anyone else sang the song it would mean someone is over the top in love with someone. But considering who the song is about it has literal meaning i.e. Chris admits she is literally out of her mind for falling for such a nut case. The silly girl line is metaphor on purpose. No one told her she was a silly girl. They probably told her she is out of her mind crazy. But she wraps it all up in a bow making it a dreamy love lullaby.
On the other side....the brilliance of Ask Anybody is she is still in mad love but she is not sugar coating any words i.e. calling him a devil. People are not calling her a silly girl but she should walk out and that she's "going wrong." She is still standing by her man in hoping he will change.
Both brilliant songs about the same relationship. One is very stern and the other is a light dreamy lullaby. But they both convey the same message. Its so rare to get 2 songs about the same relationship or experience but I love it.

On the another note, One In A Million peaked at #27 on the rock charts so it did get some serious airplay.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 11-02-2021 at 07:54 AM..