View Single Post
Old 01-27-2003, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"Knowing of Jeremy's penchant for mimic & parody, I have this theory that Jeremy INTENTIONALLY made side 2 to sound like the then current Fleetwood Mac incarnation. AND, that side one was his majorly tongue-in-cheek parody of the then happening disco sound."

I will never appreciate Spencer I don't think because I keep getting this kind of making fun of things from his music. It just makes me itchy or something. I know he created original things in a way but they are like showing off how anyone can do what (fill in the blank) does. There doesn't seem to be a Spencer sound I can distinguish like I can Kirwan or Green or Welch or McVie/Perfect, or for that matter Clapton and Page. All I hear are Spencer's source inspiration be it Burnette, Holly, James, or anything else. It prevents me from actually enjoying it because it is way too self conscious about being an imitation of something and someone else. Maybe some day I will hear what to me is an original Spencer song, who knows. Mostly I put something of his on and it's dissatisfying, I just want to run and put the original thing being mimicked on. His works don't even make me appreciate the sources more but do kind of diminish them, like that Buddy Holly medley sort of a thing throwing in all Holly's little trademarks in one tune and overdoing it, making you aware of the limitations of it.

Last edited by becca; 01-27-2003 at 04:28 PM..