View Single Post
Old 01-19-2023, 02:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermicious knid View Post
Yes, supposedly she sent it to Dolly in the early seventies hoping Dolly would use it on an album, and never heard back about it.

It seems like they have been circling each other's orbits for a long time without really connecting before now. A few years back Dolly made some really nice (and untrue) comment about how Stevie was such a fine songwriter that Dolly couldn't match her.

I have never seen a picture of them together. Surely this collaboration won't have been the first time they have met, though?
I am not sure that someone like Dolly would wish to be around someone with the current Stevie's self absorbtion and bloated sense of importance. The country singers of Dolly's generation often came from childhoods of abject poverty. Stevie complained about having to make hamburger helper during the few months that her wealthy parents cut her off before she joined FM. I know that Stevie was in Betty Ford at the same time as the late Tammy Wynette. Tammy in spite of all her troubles remained a down to earth and kind lady. I don't believe that they interacted and Tammy also would have looked askance at the narcissistic mess that Stevie had become even by that time.