View Single Post
Old 06-11-2021, 08:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Eminently playable

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Given the rather lukewarm reception and comparisons to some of his more middling songs, I went into 'I Don't Mind' with low expectations. Yes, the song is sonically felicitous, but it has none of the cloying nature of some of the works it has been compared to. While this song absolutely does reference Lindsey's past works, I hear a lot more shades of Law & Order and Go Insane than I do the usual suspects like Tango and his 21st century repertoire. I normally cringe at his whispery vocals, but they are blended and layered sufficiently and just work here. I will admit to not being particularly hopeful about this new album, but I Don't Mind has changed that. I think it's a lovely song; aurally sophisticated, deferent to his legacy, but lacking some of the tiresome production gimmicks he tends to fall back on. Yes, this is a pop song and very classically Lindsey Buckingham... but it's also alluring and implausibly fresh. I can't wait to hear more.
Louie's positive review got me to sign up for Spotify and listen. I listened with headphones (and full disclosure some alcohol had been consumed).

I really like this track--the instrumentation/engineering, the structure of the music, the hooks. Although the occasional cliché rhymes in his and Christine's songs can irk me, and the "willow/pillow" couplet looked bad on paper, but the lyrics work for me in this song.

A bit of Ricky with a touch of Time Bomb Town, but something new and different all the same.

If this is a sign of what to expect from the whole album production-wise I can't wait. Lindsey might not consider this praise, but I can also hear this being used as music on a TV show or movie in the future.

I'm also so delighted that he is finally releasing this album and not bothering with another "maybe I can turn it into a Fleetwood Mac album" debacle. The fresh sound of this track reminds me of the tight and perky Lindsey solo version of Peacekeeper and how I much preferred it to the SYW version with Mick & John's sluggish rhythm line and Stevie's vocal contributions.

All the way with LB!