View Single Post
Old 10-23-2021, 05:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
I wish they had dropped the Songbird rip-off Never Make Me Cry and taken Honey Hi to the next level, making a real "finished" track out of it. But hey it fits in within the context of Lindsey's two minute tracks.
I would have loved “Honey Hi” to have been a bit more extended, but also love its brevity, its exquisite smallness like the hand-crafted furniture one might place in a tiny palace with tiny people.

The TUSK deluxe edition features an early version of “Never Make Me Cry” that blows me away—a warm, full arrangement with the arp string ensemble, piano, and more of an assertive vocal. It sounds like a track from a Beach Boys record. Why they dropped this in favor of the spare low-fi version of the official record probably has to do with honoring the minimal, sometimes primitive sound Lindsey opts for on most of the songs. Although most ledgies love the album version of “Think About Me,” an earlier version with just (a sassier) Christine singing, an upfront organ, and mixed-down crunch guitar has my heart. Again, I think the album version was chosen because it aligns more with Lindsey’s musical vision and sits more easily with his songs.