View Single Post
Old 01-07-2023, 05:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
that all makes sense.

regarding blues, i am always astonished how Brits managed to basically steal it from the original US blues culture and make it a part of their own sound. of course they also popularized it at the time. but if one really cares about the blues, there are way better places to enjoy it (for way cheaper), and with way better guitar players that nobody even knows about, than overpriced FM cover tour.
That’s a real hard question…but I think, it’s a race thing.

In Britain, Rhythm and blues was imported in the late 50s early 60s was appreciated by a small number …which grew, and grew, through various bands…
Alexis Korner, Chris Barber, Cyril Davies…Lonnie Donegan, all responsible for introducing black music to the UK.
I don’t know too much about it but as a young girl, 12/13 I used to listen to this music on the radio…and it was just so good. And the young generation then just got into it.

Maybe Brits could relate to the words of the Blues, life was tough after WW2, rationing, austerity, real poverty and hardship.
Brits borrowed the Blues, to turn it into something easier on the ear…..and then sold it back …Big time..
I’ve often wondered about Brit bands selling the Blues back to America..