View Single Post
Old 02-06-2003, 12:08 PM
Ledgie

This is a great conversation. So many things being brought out. I certainly respect everyone’s opinions, and appreciate your knowledge.

No, that wasn’t one of my posts ChilliD. I think that came from Jeremy’s Q & A. Jeremy doesn’t like chats or Q & A’s. He doesn't feel that he does well with them. I can relate to that. At least on here I can go back and edit, and not be held to each statement down to the letter. So I’m sure that some of the things quoted are generally accurate. But I think that if he had the chance, he might go back and say them a little differently, and maybe omit some verbiage.

Yes, Jeremy said that having Danny playing in addition to Peter on the Elmore James numbers was overkill, and he was probably right about those particular songs.

Do you see the difference that I’m talking about as far as Peter being behind Jeremy and driving the rhythms, as to what Peter did with the lead parts on “Tiger”?

As far as the piano stuff goes, it’s a little unclear. Jeremy used to do a lot of things at home and record them. He said that people would come over and say “don’t you want that stuff to go out”?. I don’t know if he was referring to piano or guitar or what, that they thought he should be presenting to the band for consideration.

I have been under the impression that Jeremy’s piano playing didn’t meet Peter’s expectations. Jeremy’s style of playing is more like that of Jerry Lee Lewis. It’s good for the rock stuff and bits can be overdubbed on some blues tracks, but it’s not like being an accomplished pianist who reads and plays and has years of formal training.

I thought that they did a great job with that combination on “Sweet Home Chicago”. So Jeremy could do that type of thing. But I don’t think that he could have created the ambience that Christine did on numbers like “Love That Burns”.

That becomes pretty apparent when you listen to “Hi Ho Silver” from Kiln House, and then to his solo “Honey Hush” from Live at the BBC. Same song, but Christine’s formal piano training takes it to a higher level.

I’m also not sure of what’s his on “Look Down At My Woman” and “Who's Knockin’”. There are supposed to be some over dubs with Bob Hall, who of course plays piano.

I’ve heard you say a couple of times that you didn’t care for “When You Say”. I like it! HaHa. I thought that it fit in nicely on “Then Play On”. Chris did do that one as well, perhaps it was more suited for a woman. “Trinity” is not my favorite Danny tune, but it still shows his good qualities.

Danny was a shy person. You’d almost have to be, to be as young as he was and to be so good on guitar. That meant a lot of time isolated by yourself practicing. I’ve known guys like that, and I’m sure that taking acid and drugs didn’t help with his paranoia.

But I don’t really think of that as health problems. I consider that to be "life", and if you’re shy and it is a concern to you, then you do something to try to overcome it.

But Danny didn’t have to do that. All he had to do was concentrate on his music. And don’t forget, he was Peter Green’s “protege” so to speak, and had to have felt that he commanded some respect. I don’t think that he expected anyone to question his position.

He didn’t get on with Bob Welch at all. I think that he felt challenged by him, and thought that his role was being diminished like had happened with Jeremy. But his behavior had been tolerated or accepted for so long, he was just being Danny. So he was just working and doing what he was supposed to do. Never mind dealing with personal issues.

Danny had perfect pitch and a wonderful ear for playing the guitar.

It will be interesting to hear Blue Horizon’s thoughts on meeting Danny. I think that we are lucky that Danny idolized Peter Green, and was able to come in and play with the ability that he did. Although I have also read some statements that Peter had made about Danny, that I would consider negative. So I guess that they werent what you would call the best of friends.

I’ve also read that Jeremy was the one person that Peter liked very much at the time of his departure from FM. That’s one question that I haven’t gotten answered from the horses mouth, but I will eventually.

Sorry these thoughts are not organized better, I’m just throwing them out as they come to mind.

Doc

Last edited by Doctor Brown; 02-06-2003 at 05:38 PM..