Thread: A Greeny list?
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2006, 04:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino
"In the skies" (1979) is the best album. Pete plays all the lead guitar except on "Slabo day" - that's Snowy white. And they both play lead on the titles track. On "little dreamer", "whatcha gonna do" and "white sky" he plays all the lead guitar, but the material on those albums is not as good (written mainly by his brother). Katmandu (1984) has Peter singing on 3 tracks, but he plays very little guitar.

I'd go for:
"In the skies", "A fool no more", "Tribal dance", "Seven stars" - In the skies (1979)

"Little dreamer", "loser two times" - from "Little dreamer" (1980)

"Last train to san antone" - Whatcha gonna do (1981)

"Shining star", "Falling apart", "White sky" - White sky (1982)

"Who's that knocking" - "Katmandu" album, 1984

Splinter group era - Peter sings and plays fine guitar on the following tracks-

"Lies", "Real world", "Running after you" (slide guitar) - Time traders 2001
"Blues don't change" - from the same album, 2001

And there's great stuff on the Live at Ronnie scott's album, a great version of The Supernatural.
well done d.

i would add...

the version of 'it takes time' from the first splinter group cd. as i recall nigel takes one break but the rest is pete.

'going down' from first splinter group is also a pete showcase. nigel intrudes along the way of course. on these two pete shows fluency lacking in the post-in the skies pvk era.

also 'hitch-hiking woman' from the first splinter group cd is pete alone singing and playing slide. i think it is as intensely felt as 'jumping at shadows' or 'love that burns' from the fm era.

another favorite is from the first of the robert johnson covers cds- 'ramblin on my mind'. recall that pete and nigel recorded a fair bit of material as a duo which was viewed by management as too dark. so subsequently the up tempo and agumented material was recorded (with full band, backup singers etc). 'ramblin' is one of the earlier ones and THE pete showcase on the cd. again he plays slide. and may be overdubbed on acoustic(?)

going back to in the skies, 'funky chunk' is tremendous. there is nothing like it.

i will think of more. great idea tom. i think i'll have to make my own pete cd!

zero