View Single Post
Old 08-11-2021, 07:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdudejim View Post
I'm a huge Maron fan and obviously a huge Lindsey fan of course, being here.

First off, I too was a bit surprised when Marc (and then Lindsey) slagged off the Welch era. Only a bit though. I'll explain about that in a moment. But firstly, I did find it amusing that Lindsey said he had Then Play On and Kiln House because believe it or not those are the two pre-Buckingham Nicks Fleetwood Mac albums in my collection. So that was kinda cool to me.

Now as to why I wasn't totally surprised about Lindsey kind of agreeing with Maron about the Bob Welch years was that besides "Hypnotized" I don't think Lindsey has touched a Welch song on stage. He's done some Green tunes, some Kirwan stuff and whatnot. And I even remember reading something about how he produced Welch's solo "Sentimental Lady" recording as something of a "favor" (most likely to Mick). I just think for whatever reason, Bob's music perhaps just never resonated with Lindsey. Or maybe it was Bob himself. Who knows. It was a bit surprisingly though because Lindsey is usually very magnanimous, even holding his tongue on Ms. Stephanie Nicks much more than he probably has to.

I also must say I found it funny that Maron talked about Lindsey doing "dance music." I knew what he meant - he was speaking of the very '80s, very electronic Go Insane period, but I had just never heard it described that way. But I suppose the description isn't totally off base. A lot of those songs would likely work better in a club atmosphere than pretty much anything else Lindsey has ever released. All this said, I must say I love Go Insane and think pretty much every era of Lindsey's career has stuff that I highly recommend. And it looks like this new album is gonna provide more.
Excellent post, sweetjimdude. I hate that your contribution was overshadowed by pettiness. I’m not familiar with much of Bob Welch’s FM material beyond Hypnotized, which I think is a classic. Neil Finn did a fine job singing it and I was so disappointed the song was dropped by the time I saw FM. Lindsey sang it very well, also. I’ve always thought it would be cool and surprising if FM whipped out Sentimental Lady live, I think the audience would be like “WTH” in a good way.

I’m not sure yet about Lindsey’s new cd- the first two songs haven’t excited me much, although the second single caught my ear more than the first. Your excitement for it has got me thinking I will buy it, though.