View Single Post
Old 08-10-2021, 03:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdudejim View Post
Now as to why I wasn't totally surprised about Lindsey kind of agreeing with Maron about the Bob Welch years was that besides "Hypnotized" I don't think Lindsey has touched a Welch song on stage. He's done some Green tunes, some Kirwan stuff and whatnot. And I even remember reading something about how he produced Welch's solo "Sentimental Lady" recording as something of a "favor" (most likely to Mick). I just think for whatever reason, Bob's music perhaps just never resonated with Lindsey.
You’re right. I think Jim Ladd the KMET DJ was talking to Lindsey on the radio in 1981 for Law and Order, and Lindsey told Ladd that he just wasn’t comfortable singing Bob Welch songs (he called them “breathy”) but that he loved singing and playing Peter Green, particularly “Oh Well.” The band kept “Hypnotized” in the set for a couple of years, but Lindsey at some point must have said to finally drop it. “Hypnotized” is this kind of zone song, anyway (maybe a little like “Sara”), and you just can’t reach that zone in a crowded, noisy arena. I don’t the think the song ever worked live in any band incarnation as well as the album. The performance with the Crowded House singer was pretty good thanks to twenty musicians all contributing with little bits of filigree, but you still had the arena noise to contend with. “Hypnotized” is solitude and meditative — nobody can meditate at a rock concert these days.

moviekinks.blogspot.com