View Single Post
Old 06-28-2006, 09:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino
Martin Celmins has a fairly good description of the Munich incident in his book on Peter. Apparently Dinky Dawson was there, and Jeremy Spencer seems to indicate that he was too? And they only stayed one night.
Actually, it seems pretty certain that only Peter and road manager Dennis Keane (or is it Kean or Keen - I've seen it spelled three ways!!) were at the Munich house that one night. Dinky Dawson accompanied Mick & Clifford Davis to retrieve Peter the next morning (and maybe Dennis too, although the accounts vary on whether or not he may have returned earlier without Peter).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino
It needs repeating, that the live tapes of the Mac recorded after Munich features some incredible playing from Peter, as does a lot of the music he recorded during the early 70s. His health problems seems to have had more to with schizophrenia, which lsd can trigger. And the problems surely began earlier than Munich. It'd be nice to hear the tapes, though
Couldn't agree more!

I'm hardly an expert on LSD, but it seems like it was harmless enough to most people in the '60s. I'd have to guess that, like Peter, a lot of the people who had problems afterwards may have had some underlying and in some cases entirely hidden health issues that were triggered by the acid (like Peter's schizophrenia). I don't know a lot about Syd Barrett, but perhaps that was an issue with him as well. Skip Spence of Jefferson Airplane and Moby Grape was another well-known performer who may have suffered similar problems. Remember that Dennis Keane was also at the Munich house and presumably took the same acid as Peter did, yet according to Celmins' book that had no adverse affect on him.