View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
But you have read an account of some one who was at the show ?!
Only the Clifford Davis story as related to Bob Brunning and mentioned in his book. As far as I know, none of the band members (or anyone else) has ever mentioned the band performing a four-hour jam at this or any other show. Of course, that in itself does not say that it never happened, but all in all, I'm skeptical. I'd be more inclined to believe the band played for four+ hours than that they jammed continuously to one song for that full time.

On that subject, if you read Brunning's book carefully, the story he relates from Davis never explicitly states that the band jammed for four hours to "Black Magic Woman." He writes that Green started up that number and that they finished playing four hours later. Whether that implies that they jammed continuously for that time is up to interpretation, and I can certainly see where that can easily be read into what is written (and perhaps that ambiguity was intentional). But the book does not really make it clear and certainly never explicitly claims that. As far as I can tell, it's other people who later built upon and embellished this brief account who came up with the "four-hour Black Magic Woman jam at the climax show of the tour" legend.