View Single Post
Old 01-24-2020, 04:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

There was a similar thread a few years ago. It was a toss up for me too. I first gave the edge to 1984 but then changed my vote to 2004. In 1984, I loved how Chris brought someone else in to influence and write some of her songs. Some of the album almost sounds country (Love will show us how, so excited, I'm the one). It sounded so different that I liked that dare. Looking back however, I wish Chris would have stuck with her own formula. I think the 2004 album is more organic and purified product. They are all her songs and there is no padding. Each song is a treasure and you can tell the album was not rushed. Every little detail on the songs come through.

Chris never has any dud songs so that is why its so hard to pick. Even her least favorite songs of mine are still solid great songs.

One thing about the 1984 album that is so great is that it holds up. She did not embrace the cheezy 1984 sound at the time and the album still sounds fresh today.