View Single Post
Old 08-11-2021, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdudejim View Post
I'm a huge Maron fan and obviously a huge Lindsey fan of course, being here.

First off, I too was a bit surprised when Marc (and then Lindsey) slagged off the Welch era. Only a bit though. I'll explain about that in a moment. But firstly, I did find it amusing that Lindsey said he had Then Play On and Kiln House because believe it or not those are the two pre-Buckingham Nicks Fleetwood Mac albums in my collection. So that was kinda cool to me.

Now as to why I wasn't totally surprised about Lindsey kind of agreeing with Maron about the Bob Welch years was that besides "Hypnotized" I don't think Lindsey has touched a Welch song on stage. He's done some Green tunes, some Kirwan stuff and whatnot. And I even remember reading something about how he produced Welch's solo "Sentimental Lady" recording as something of a "favor" (most likely to Mick). I just think for whatever reason, Bob's music perhaps just never resonated with Lindsey. Or maybe it was Bob himself. Who knows. It was a bit surprisingly though because Lindsey is usually very magnanimous, even holding his tongue on Ms. Stephanie Nicks much more than he probably has to.

I also must say I found it funny that Maron talked about Lindsey doing "dance music." I knew what he meant - he was speaking of the very '80s, very electronic Go Insane period, but I had just never heard it described that way. But I suppose the description isn't totally off base. A lot of those songs would likely work better in a club atmosphere than pretty much anything else Lindsey has ever released. All this said, I must say I love Go Insane and think pretty much every era of Lindsey's career has stuff that I highly recommend. And it looks like this new album is gonna provide more.
I agree with the Welch snub. Those albums sold enough to keep them going. And for Lindsey to use sales "suddenly" to describe someone's art is really bothersome to me. Stick with what you know, "making art and music". Plus, show a little respect.

Welch had some fantastic lyrics and atmospheres. He also talked them into moving to Los Angeles. That's HUGE.

I love how Go Insane is thought of as dance music. But I see it.