Thread: New Billy
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2006, 07:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Have no fear...just got my copy last week (got Christine's In The Meantime at the same time)...have been burrowing into it before I post about it.

I never thought I'd hear a rockabilly version of "Oh Well", but here 'tis. And, I like it, too. Anyone else notice the upright bass intro to the vocal line is almost the same as the Tusk bass line?

I really like the Bob Dylan song he covers, too..."Broken" something or other. (See? That's what I mean..I need to get to where I know the album inside/out before I post).

My only real negative comment, not so much about this particular album, but about Billy in general, is that it is getting really annoying that he re-records songs for subsequent albums. Ok, so how many versions of "Tear It Up" do we really need? Not saying that this version isn't any good...it's GREAT, but not anything really different than the two or three other versions he's recorded. He'd just recorded "Memphis Blues" for his All Night Long album that he sold here on the Penguin (only has released one album in between). So, by this, he should be about ready to record yet another version of "The Bigger The Love" and/or "I'm Not Me" on his next album.

Sure, "Tear It Up" was his dad & uncle's big hit, but there are other of their tunes he could've covered instead.