View Single Post
Old 06-03-2008, 03:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
I really tried to like those movies. One thing I could say positively about Wes Anderson's films is that they are visually quite stunning- saturated colors, large panning camera shots, interesting scenery, etc. And I appreciate some of the odd quirks- like the sailor who sings David Bowie songs throughout the movie, the Indian train conductor who speaks like a surfer dude, etc. But the scripts are just so unfunny, the pacing is dreadfully slow and he uses the same basic characters from one movie to the next. For example, the mother characters, in the "Royal Tenenbaums" and "Darjeeling Limited," both played by Anjelica Huston, are exactly the same- hyper, intellectual, emotionally distant, ironic, wry sense of humor. And there is at least one or two Wilson brothers, which is one or two Wilson brothers too many. There are too many deadpan one-liners. What is lacking in his movies is any sense of genuine emotion, humanity and empathy for the characters. Any sentiment comes across as saccharine, ironic or just campy. Throughout those movies I keep waiting for some kind of build up or big pay off at the end... but they just kind of peter out, exhausted by their own drollness. It's gotten to the point where I cannot wait for his next movie so I can continue to point out how terrible they are.
I could be wrong but it seems to me that he isn't really aiming for that. Most films give you that or want to give you that but he seems to be aiming to give a different experience. Also they don't follow that build up and pay off thing that people have become accustomed to in movies and I guess if you want the regular format, three stage thing then don't see his films.

I also don't think any of his films have been "hugely popular" and after Rushmore they've only been esteemed by half the audience/critics, I would say. I wouldn't say you're in a small minority.