View Single Post
Old 07-29-2009, 08:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by golddustdrummer View Post
maybe "boring" wasn't the right word. I just can't stand them.
That flute....they way the dude singing and phrases his words. someone
and the drummer is good, but I can't get into the whole "look how fast I can play" solo in those videos. no soul.
((she says as she realizes she said she likes to listen to Neil Peart's drumming LOL)))
Interesting point(s). Though as you point out Neil Peart is soulless, and way too clinical. I never liked him when I was learning to play.

After Keith Moon, John Bonham, and Ian Paice, I went straight into progressive rock drummers: Bill Bruford, Carl Palmer, and the Tull drummers (there were several). Looking back I guess they all did the "look how fast I can play" routine. Now that I'm much older (been playing since '83), I'm far more attracted to jazz drummers such as Joe Morello (Dave Brubeck), and Elvin Jones (John Coltrane). Morello is in rare company as a drummer who can play technically perfect, yet with the utmost feeling. Elvin Jones on the other hand is just a force of nature. I also like S. P. Leary who played with a lot of Chicago blues artists. That guy was something else. He makes blues drumming interesting.

Yet as a guilty pleasure I still find myself drawn to the big kit drummer that used to drive bands instead of today's beat thumpers.