View Single Post
Old 07-01-2022, 12:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
No Kate Bush so they go with Danny Douma?

That’s like saying I’ll have a martini and if you can’t make me one I’ll take a banana split. Two entirely different worlds!
Yeah, isn’t that weird? Who picked the opening acts back then, the tour sponsors? In 1979, they could have had their pick of a dozen good opening acts in the New Wave — Joe Jackson, the Specials, the Cars, Graham Parker, Squeeze. I think it’s great for a top-of-the-bill to get an opener that is a little edgier and trendier. It provides a nice balance. Christopher Cross was always bland middle-of-the-road, and the Night Eyes were too, come to think of it, even though they never acquired an audience. Bob Marley opened in Germany in June 1980, which was not a good fit, either, even though Marley is a legend in his own right. Actually, Fleetwood melding with Men at Work in 1982 was a good ticket, even though Men at Work weren’t critics’ darlings like Fleetwood.

But Kate Bush?! In a mass-market arena-rock setting — good God. Imagine how far the audiences in Detroit or Cleveland would have tossed her when she sang “Kashka from Baghdad” or “Wow.”

moviekinks.blogspot.com