Thread: Time
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 06:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Can I revive this thread? I'm listening to Time just now, and I really think this album (and forum, actually) need a bit more love. This isn't my favourite Mac album, but it's one of the few without a track that I dislike. I've really enjoyed reading some of your takes on it, as it's not an album that is often discussed.

I'm sorry to say, though, that I can't get into Bekka much as a lead singer. I think she's a gifted songwriter and I really enjoy her work in that regard, but her voice just doesn't pull me in, somehow. I keep imagining her songs being covered by some great country singer, and how mind-blowingly awesome that'd be. I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to be imagining what an awesome cover Singer X would do when you're listening to the original version of a song, though. Sorry Bekka!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post

I think whoever tracked the songs did a horrid job, basically magnifying the disjointed feel of the album. Thanks to the capability of reprogramming the running order of a CD (and now with iTunes playlists), a more flowing tracking CAN be obtained. Once again, here's what I came up with:

I DO
TALKIN' TO MY HEART
I WONDER WHY
WINDS OF CHANGE
SOONER OR LATER
DREAMING THE DREAM
NIGHTS IN ESTORIL
NOTHING WITHOUT YOU
I GOT IT IN FOR YOU
HOLLYWOOD (SOME OTHER KIND OF TOWN)
BLOW BY BLOW
THESE STRANGE TIMES
ALL OVER AGAIN
Thanks for this tracklist! I'm excited to try it out. I agree that the tracklisting is particularly jarring on this album. Talkin' To My Heart is probably one of my favourite Mac tunes of all, and a really strong album opener, and then it doesn't really feel like it has an album to follow it at all. The whole album really feels like someone hit "shuffle" in a playlist with (at least) two different albums in it.

ETA: Also, can I gush over the cover? It might just be me, but I find something beautifully simple and clever about it. Could've become iconic if the music within had been better received.

Last edited by Dex; 05-11-2013 at 07:00 AM..