Thread: Unexpected FM
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2022, 02:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
That's a song I NEVER tire of. I love everything about it!
Me too. It brings me right back to 1979 and even though I had never been to California at that age, it made me feel California when the lights go down cruising and driving over Kanyan. The song's sparse drumming and funk feel really grabbed me even at 9 years old. Stevie did a great job and her yell at the end is classic. I felt the desperation of the musician trying to make it and turn everything Gold.
It was fantastic that Stevie put it on her Enchanted box set. I only had it as a '45 that I found in a record store around 1983. It was such a find and I literally struck gold.
Not to annoy you but the song has something that I love and you hate and that is the back up vocalist being slightly off. I love that effect. Its on Edge of 17, Stand Back, etc. It has such a live sound and not so overly rehearsed feel.
In 1979 I wanted so much to pump gas and make $2.50 per hour. The way Stevie sings the word Gold still gives me goosebumps to this day. NO ONE could have done it like that. The flip side of the '45 was Midnight Wind and its been talked about on this forum that that song could be Stevie's best vocal ever. The way Stevie throws her voice singing Miranda is stunning. Midnight Wind is a prequel to Sisters of the Moon at the beginning. You can hear Lindsey's influence. The way Stevie almost seems to lose her place in the back up vocals and falls behind John in the second chorus is orgasmic its so damn good. Stevie uses the same oooooooos as in Sisters.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 07-02-2022 at 02:40 PM..