View Single Post
Old 01-25-2023, 09:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
This is from Mick's book:
Christine McVie did not originally intend to participate on the album (she had technically quit in 1990) but that Warner Bros. had insisted she appear…

although Billy Burnette is featured on the album's only single, "I Do"
This is a bit revisionist. Even after the BTM tour, Christine was always going to be their Brian Wilson. She talked in the 1993 press conference about them going into the studio in April to begin a new album (them at the time being Mick, John, Christine, and Billy), so she was under contract before Bekka and Mason were added. At some point in April, Billy left, so “I Do” was likely from those sessions. From April to October, Fleetwood Mac didn’t have a guitarist, which is why/when I suspect Michael Thompson did the guitar parts.

However, almost every interview they did for the 94-95 tours talked about how she was still in the band. Billy even said in his recent interview that he and Bekka had to have Christine and Dave give the green light for “Dreamin’ the Dream,” and that was the last song written for the album.

I think she worked on the Bramlett stuff and maybe the original version of “Blow By Blow,” but she and Mason didn’t get on and she stopped working with them.

Which makes me wonder if Richard left Time to go make Smile with Lindsey and his band in Hawaii after he realized he couldn’t work with Mason. I also wonder if he was fired by the label when that album was rejected so that they could stick Rob Cavallo on Lindsey.

THE Stephen Hopkins