View Single Post
Old 01-25-2023, 08:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
It makes little sense why they would not let her participate in the making of the album just because she was not prepared to tour behind it.

First, didn't they do just that for Time?

Second, if Lindsey was so keen to make Say You Will a double-CD, one would think he would see the need for all three songwriters.

Would the public have expressed more resistance to the four-piece lineup after her participation in the album than it would have had she not participated? To any meaningful extent, I don't see why that would be the case. It seems like a case of overthinking the situation. Just make the best album you can, and then subsequently make the best live show you can. The Tango tour proved you could successfully tour an album without the songs of one of the three songwriters.

If Lindsey thought it such a blessing to have Christine contributing songs to what became Buckingham McVie (and to our knowledge she hadn't committed to touring behind the album first, nor did he seem to be of a the view that Stevie would not be contributing to the album), one would think he would have felt the same about Say You Will.

It seems convoluted to say, "If you won't tour behind it, we don't want you contributing songs to it." I mean does Lindsey think that, given his failure to tour behind it, the band was retrospectively ill-served by his having contributed songs to Tango (production aside, as plenty of producers don't tour with the band after making an album with them)?
Chris did not want to do Time. However the record company would not even let the album take place without Christine. They sort of knew the world was not going to flock to Fleetwood Mac without Chris, Stevie, and Lindsey singing something. Being the trooper that Chris was, she agreed to do it with the band so Mick and the band could get their album. She was never going to tour and did much of the album long distance and not in the studio with them. Nights In Estoril actually featured a studio musician which explains why that song rocks.

This is from Mick's book:
Christine McVie did not originally intend to participate on the album (she had technically quit in 1990) but that Warner Bros. had insisted she appear. As such, her five featured songs were recorded separately from the full band and all guitar parts on these were played by session musician Michael Thompson, although Billy Burnette is featured on the album's only single, "I Do", which only charted in Canada.[4] "Hollywood" alludes to the homesickness that would cause her to retire temporarily from the band, while "Nights in Estoril" celebrated time spent at Estoril in Portugal with her then-husband Eddy Quintela, who was Portuguese himself.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 01-25-2023 at 08:14 AM..