View Single Post
Old 08-24-2017, 09:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I know I'm going to start sounding like a broken record soon. Greatest Hits was the first time I had even heard Fleetwood Mac - it was my mom's CD, omnipresent in her minivan. I would hear it every day on my way to school or camp or dance class, which is how FM kind of became a part of me. So this album will always be pretty special to me.

Mind you, at 4 years old all I was processing was the sound. This group of songs just simply sounded beautiful. "As Long As You Follow" felt a lot like a lullaby to me, and my brother and I became obsessed with "Hold Me;" singing it at each other at the dinner table. it had such a playful vibe to it, really accessible to children. Just a stellar experience listening to that CD to be honest.

In terms of "No Questions Asked," I had no idea the people of this band, I had no idea the drama, I had no idea the legends. All I knew was that I loved the way the woman sang "real hard to be nice" and I loved the sound of the cool guitar licks, the really unique ones. Now that I'm older I can appreciate the juxtaposition of the upbeat melody with a truthfully depressing song, the Bob Dylan reference with "broke down like a little girl" - Stevie loves that imagery. I also think it's a really good showcase vocally of Rick and Billy, and honestly the song just hooks you in with the first 2 seconds, which is genius when you put it as the last song on a GH album where the audience might not actually be interested in new music?

Bottom line: great song; as were many of Stevie's contributions during that period. I have such fondness for "Paper Doll" and "Freedom" but hey, that's just me.

SN: 4/6/11
I met my angel: 3/31/09