View Single Post
Old 02-10-2021, 08:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
These tracks are very exciting. I couldn’t be happier. I am always drawn back quite nostalgically to the final month of the 1980 tour, and consider that month the band’s live pinnacle (not counting the blistering Green days, of course). The most heavily invested jamming I can ever remember the band doing — the most playful sort of musical circumnavigation and the brashest, snottiest attitude — was during that month on all of Lindsey Buckingham’s battering-ram songs: “What Makes You Think,” “World Turning,” “Go Your Own Way,” and above all “Not That Funny.”

We got a great little taste of the final month on the Tusk Deluxe, with an incendiary “Rhiannon,” a “Landslide,” and a memorable “Songbird” (with a trippy and difficult-to-play little musical bridge). So being able to add these cuts is hard to beat.

Perhaps I’d make one change: as much as I love the “Tusk” performances in August (very long and narcotizing in a good way), I would have included a “Tusk” from the Los Angeles Forum in December 1979 solely because the USC Trojan Marching Band was there with the band, and it was not just corny but damned exciting.

But with these individual tracks from Kansas City, Wichita, Omaha, and Tucson between the two collections, why oh why can’t we just get the entire shows from these cities?
i am not a collector and have been so resistant to buying these various reissues - but live What Makes You Think from 1980 may have done it for me!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"