Thread: Mirage at 40
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2022, 04:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I love Mirage and agree the reissue gives us so many delights. I will disagree about Mirage not having a “unique style.” Regardless of the very different songs being thrown together all is unified through the production. The sound on Mirage is pure pop, generally major-key songs with catchy melodies and youthful lyrics. There’s a bubbly ebullience—and warmth. (Tango has all but the warmth.)

The production on each FM record since 1975 is distinct, so that each album sounds like an intentional album rather than a storehouse of songs. Even the White Album has a different sound than Rumours, though these two records are closest in style to one another.
I recall a review of the album at the time that called it a "music box" of sounds and I always thought that was a good way to put it... Metaphorically it is sort of a wind- up music box with lots of tinkly and plinky sorts of sounds and as you say, a bubbliness and cheeriness, even if lyrically some of the songs weren't as cheery (Gypsy is actually a bit dark, but the arrangement is most definitely not).