View Single Post
Old 02-16-2020, 10:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I’m a fan of Alan Brown’s Private Romeo (2011). The cast of stage-trained young actors does superb work—they carry the narrative burden, the poetry burden, and the emotional burden like old pros. The result isn’t stuffy or amateurish or in any way miscalculated...

I’m not crazy about a lot of the movies with gay texts or subtexts that draw everyone’s attention, like Visconti’s Death in Venice, the Jean Genet movie A Song of Love, Tea and Sympathy, King Ludwig (the Ken Russell nonsense, whatever its actual title is), Jarman’s Tempest and Caravaggio, Prospero’s Books, and the prestige stuff like Victoria/Victoria (most of which toys timidly with its themes). There’s a John Butler movie called Handsome Devil.

Kenneth Anger’s Scorpio Rising is comically first-rate. I forgot about that one.
Def will check out Romeo—it helps to acknowledge Shakespeare. Thanks for the tip!

Love the Visconti Death in Venice!

I admire Jarman, especially his recently released lost film, but he doesn’t fulfill the ideal of gay cinema I express above—I seek the Griffith impulse, extending the expressive means of medium but as a bid to popular appeal. Hence Genet’s experimentation is fulfilled in Fassbinder’s accessible sensual Fantasia with Querrelle. Both artists transcended.

I have had this disagreement with friends but Tea & Sympathy is about a heterosexual boy whose art is insufficiently empathetic—as expressed in the Minnelli ending as pure cinema. It’s a great film. Just not a gay one.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 02-16-2020 at 10:47 AM..