View Single Post
Old 11-19-2022, 11:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I know you hate Talk to Me, and your dislike for the song is affecting your feelings about how successful it was. I believe Talk to Me went to #4 and was one of her highest charting singles. It was also nominated for a Grammy for rock song of the year. It get tremendous airplay on radio stations, as well as MTV.
You missed my entire point. The charting of a pop song she did not write has nothing to do with my sediments. Your rating for talent depends on pop charts? I dislike Talk To Me because of its simplicity. This is where Stevie jumps the shark IMHO. She did not write SDMHA either but that song had some grit. Talk To Me is bubble gum puffery. I used to try and write songs when I was in high school and I couldn't. I was horrible. I bet I could have wrote the lyrics to Talk To Me. I remember people who liked Stevie at the time was not crazy about the song. The song had no Stevie mystery or charm as her earlier work.
I dont take Talk To Me into the equation of RAL at all. Its by itself. I am talking about the album. There was potential there but it went so off the rails. I Cant Wait is a powerful Stevie vocal and the song is good. If they toned down the disco swishes it would be better. Almost every other version of The Nightmare I have heard is better than the album version. If you listen to Stevie on Rockline in 1989 she states how she freaked out when her best pal Tom Petty called her a pop star. She loathed him saying that which I interpret how she looked back on RAL with distain. There is a reason why she never performs much from the album except her ballad HAEWAFY and No Spoken Word. She jumped the shark. Her cokey demos suddenly could not be morphed into a good song that also could be a radio single.
The chart success of its first single was a double edged sword. It gave the album a hit but put Stevie into another category where she needed others to write her songs. She had a catalog with good songs. Some discipline and creativity could have went a long way. She no longer was the innovator. She became the imitator. She was copying the mid 80s look with wearing neon gloves in videos.
BTW in case anyone is keeping score, Talk To Me is not Stevie's highest charting single. It reached #4 but SDMHA reached #3. Learn it. Know it.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 11-19-2022 at 11:25 AM..