Thread: WW or OO?
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2021, 03:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Each are completely different songs.

Lyrics
Warm Ways Chris is professing her devoted love to a man and it even gets quasi sexual
Over and Over Chris likes this person and almost trying to convince him to notice her or take the relationship to another level which appears is not happening

Production
Warm Ways is a musical lullaby with incredible harmonies. Probably the best this band has ever done.
Over and Over is a fairly basic track with the typical cold Tusk production

Music
Warm Ways is a more complicated track than Over and Over which is why Warm Ways is hard to do live and Over and Over shines as a live track. The reason Over and Over is fantastic live is because the band fills in the gaps where the song lacked in the studio version. The basicness of the studio version allowed them to take the song out to orbit live on stage, adding harmonies and Lindsey's hypnotic jam in the end.

The only thing these songs have in common is they are sung by Chris. Its like comparing Bad Loser to You Make Loving Fun. They are actually polar opposites of Chris's songs. The music and harmonies on Warm Ways are just too good to not say it wins in this comparison. I actually like Over and Over but if I never heard the song live, I would not like it as much as I do today. Some songs are better left to the studio and some are better on stage. Over and Over is so much better live. There is a youtube video of Warm Ways live during the White Album tour rehearsals. While good, the magic of the studio version is lost. Each song fits perfectly on each album. Warm Ways sounds very vintage Fleetwood Mac and Over and Over fits perfectly on the stark Tusk. Chris's songs on the White Album sound like they could have appeared on earlier albums.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 10-05-2021 at 06:04 AM..