Thread: 2008 Tour ????
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2007, 06:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislit18 View Post
I do completely agree with you about the solo carrers hurting the band as a whole. and Im saying this with much respect, but its mostly Stevies problem. Shes the one who kept putting out records, and touring [sure, Chris had 1 record and toured had a hit, and a minor hit, big deal, and Linds put out 2 records, has a couple of hits, but never toured.] Stevie had some BIG solo hits while with FM, and toured for EVERY album. that hurt the spectre of FM.
From the end of the Tusk tour for the rest of the 80s, it was at least a two year break between albums...that's ridiculous. They should've taken a 6 month break after the Tusk tour, then started work on the next album. OR, Lindsey & Stevie should've just bid farewell to Fleetwood Mac and let them keep going with other people then. As I've hypothesized before, at that point, they could've asked Bob Welch back, since he had a few hits of his own (and they were still on good terms), and recruited Martha Davis, whose own band The Motels hadn't hit the charts yet. So, hypothetically, those early 80s Motels hits ("Only The Lonely", "Take The L", "Remember The Nights", "Tragic Surf", "Mission Of Mercy" etc) could've been Fleetwood Mac tunes. I think the combination of Bob Welch & Martha Davis could've kept Fleetwood Mac a monster name act through the '80s.

Quote:
and to tell the truth, thats one thing I dont like about the Mac, is they rely on the Rumours stuff SO MUCH! {snip} Mick should have said on the BTM/Time tours 'while keeping the spirit of FM alive, we need to move on from those days, and start fresh, With a whole new setlist!!'
Especially after a personnel change. And, especially with a new front line like on the '94/95 tour. As I've said before, they needed to (and should have) toured behind an album of new material, not use the same ol' set list (substituting Dave Mason's tunes where Lindsey's tunes were). If that meant having to wait until after the album was released to hit the road, then so be it. Or, play songs from the upcoming album to spark interest/anticipation for the new album. (as it was, they only played two songs that ended up on Time that preceding tour...Dave Mason's "Blow By Blow" and Bekka's "Dreaming The Dream" (but the latter song only the last half of the tour).

Quote:
PS-I love the original version of 'Oh Well' probably more than Linds' version of it. And Rick/Billys version of it was closer to Peters than the Rumours lineups was. I am giving them credit where it is due, Im not trying to bash them. just stating that I dont like what they did with certain songs....such as GOYW.
Actually, my favorite live version of "Oh Well" is the live one from the '87/88 tour that was the B-side of the "As Long As You Follow" single. The original Then Play On version is untoppable.