View Single Post
Old 06-17-2003, 07:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca

Today, you will find some of that approach (which of course originated with Pet Sounds) in things like the Eels and Sparklehorse. Mark Linkous of Sparklehorse is definitely influenced by Lindsey, though I'm not sure about E of the Eels. Unfortunately these guys don't talk about Lindsey enough. They should, but I definitely get the sense that at least among certain creative pop circles, Lindsey is a major inspiration.

That of course has to do with his studio sensibilities. When it comes to playing, you don't hear as much. Monte Montgomery, a guitarist out of Austin, Texas, has often named Lindsey as one of his biggest influences, but you're probably saying, "Who's Monte Montgomery?"

Right.
Some things never come alone. I’m going to fly to the states to see Mac in OKC and Dallas. I’ve got a couple of days to get in OKC and take that opportunity to visit Austin, because so many good music is coming from there. Through this ( and another ) thread for me unknown artists were mentioned.The band Marah was mentioned by Carnevaca. I listened to some clips from Kids in Philly, and that’s a definite buy when I come back! Sounds very “lindsey-tusky” to me! I also checked Monte Montgomery and he’s playing in the saxon club in Austin on june 30. So I plan to see him live as a warming up!

Another thing is that I am a fan of Eels for a long time. I really think E is influenced by linds. I saw Eels a couple of years ago as a support to The screaming Trees. They really were impressive (what a drummer!). The screaming trees’frontman is Mark Lanegan, a great rockvoice, who now is part of the excellent desertrockband Queens of the stone age! (check them out, they are great!)

Didn’t everything go in cycles?…….

Thanks for the great musical suggestions! Got some more?

gerald