View Single Post
Old 10-05-2014, 11:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by James89 View Post
I've never understood why 'Tango in the Night' only ever reached #7 on the Billboard 200 as there were a few big singles and there was decent promotion.
That's a fair question. Back in 1987 there was a different calculation for music charts. Just like recently they changed the chart calculation to not only go by store sales, online downloads, but also videos played on youtube. While it only reached #7 it is Fleetwood Mac's second best selling album. That says a lot !
When Tango was released it jumped on the chart and Big Love went way up to #5 quickly. But the second single Seven Wonders sort of took the momentum from the album. Seven Wonders barely made the top 20 at #19. Tango fell from it's top 7 spot and never recovered top ten status again. Tango's third single raced up the charts and even did one better than Big Love and charged at #4. But the album Tango just stayed lower on the charts. By the time Everywhere was released Tango continued to fall down the chart even though Everywhere peaked at #14. This was early 1988 and the Mac was off touring Europe. No tours or promotion left to do in the USA.
Long story short, I suppose if they rearranged the singles Tango could have had a better chart history. But take this even further. Look at Stevie's Rock A Little one year earlier. She had a #1 with Bella Donna and a #5 Wild Heart. But I think Rock a Little never cracked the top ten ever. Rock a Little peaked only at #12. So the Mac album Tango did much better than Stevie's Rock a Little. The tide had swung the other way finally