View Single Post
Old 05-01-2021, 12:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Just out of curiosity I was checking the oldest threads, and found this poll. It seems I didn't voted, that is pretty weird.

Anyway, though I had already heard Mac songs before, including YMLF, that my brother bought the 45 rpm record, it was the Gypsy video in 1982 what got me into the Mac.
Pretty much the same. I’m the youngest of five and RUMOURS was on heavy rotation in my house when I was six and seven. I remember watching the Tusk video premier on Solid Gold (or something like SG) and thinking “THIS is the same band? Cool!”

But I wasn’t properly hooked until the Gypsy video and song—and then wow, I couldn’t get enough, bought MIRAGE, listened obsessively to RUMOURS and was on a heavy Stevie kick for about a year.

Then something happened.

The family stereo was on and a song from the radio grabbed me. It was “Say You Love Me.” I recognized Christine’s voice and the band backing her but in that moment I really HEARD her voice. The moment was intense and addictive. That low voice, that supremely catchy chorus, those block piano chords...the whole experience was transformative. I had to get my hands on everything Christine sang. It was 1983 and talk of her upcoming solo album had me anxiously awaiting its release.

I never stopped loving Stevie and Lindsey’s work. His solo albums were always interesting and her whole persona (until around 1985) was undeniably potent. But from that one night hearing “Say You Love Me” blasting out of the speakers I knew Christine was my hero.