View Single Post
Old 09-17-2021, 03:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I *LOVE* Dreams....always have, always will.

But the magic of it is in that production. When you listen to earlier rough versions it's pretty meh. Her vocal is great but the song is flat, like most of her songs until LB adds in lifts with instrumentation and backing vocals. John absolutely anchors the song, with Mick, as he does on all her stuff on the first 3 albums. The guitar layers and all of Chris's gorgeous keyboards/synthesizer parts, and then all the backing vocals just make it sooooo lush and luscious and hypnotic. It's this band at its cohesive best.

Her solo versions have never, ever come close. Even the Mac live versions don't do it full justice.

But that Rumours version......
You are so right. The magic of dreams is the magical production. The elements of ripping off the Carpenters with double vocals, John's heartbeat bass, and Chris's magical 70's keyboard playing with Lindsey's incredible guitar make it the song that it is. The lyrics are great and you can hear the cold Stevie said she had when she recorded it. Strangely, it adds to the mood of the song.
Long story short, the arrangement and production of Dreams is what makes it a great song.