View Single Post
Old 05-23-2021, 07:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Great idea on arranging the albums in tiers and it looks like we're mostly on the same page. I'm including Then Play On in my top tier, it's an amazing albums that meshes Kirwan and Green perfectly and produces some of the band's best all time music. As well, the remasters of Future Games and Bare Trees brings out sonic pleasures never before heard, which moves both of these albums straight to the top. Mystery to Me though, is the true masterpiece of this era.

Top Tier:
Then Play On (how could an album containing Oh Well not be in the top tier)
Future Games. (this album shines as a remaster, wonderful sonic experience)
Bare Trees (as above, Dust, Homeward Bound and Sentimental Lady alone bring this to top tier)
Mystery to Me (early masterpiece)
White Album (really should be tied with Rumours, the album is outstanding)
Rumours (what more can be said, this is their best outing by far)
Tusk. (has aged very well but was too much of a left turn right after Rumours, perhaps after Rumours #2, it would've had better reception at the time)
Live '80 (and 75-77, 82) What's not to like, the band is on fire throughout)

Mid Tier:
Mirage (would have been better with more Nicks who was on fire at the time)
Behind the Mask (sounded like a real band again, but only half of the album is great)
Time (not as bad as reviews say, with great McVie songs and the outstanding singing of Bramlett as well as great production, makes this a mid tier album)
Say You Will. (way too long but some great moments)
The Dance (not raw enough and too many obvious overdubs on a live set)

Bottom Tier:
Tango in The Night (despite amazing McVie songs, too many missteps and lack of real instruments and the Nicks disaster keep it this low)
Penguin (some good moments, but also some real stinkers)
Heroes are Hard to Find (as with Tango, great McVie songs but Welch ran out of steam and he was done- despite being utterly amazing on the short tour that followed).
Kiln House (some love it, but I listen to this one least frequently, although I love Kirwan's songs)

Last edited by On Ice; 05-23-2021 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: Forgot Kiln House