View Single Post
Old 05-12-2021, 03:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I think most of Tango is just pop fodder. I don't hate it, but it's a pretty cheesy album.

One might argue that Mirage is the same, but I'd disagree. Mirage had an organic sound. It sounded like a band playing. No one can say that about Tango. And live, Mirage was the last time they were a BAND, not carrying a backup orchestra.
We are the Tango twins because I could not agree more. Mirage is pop rock but it has so much more substance that you cant even compare the albums. Mirage is a real band playing. We only get a little bit of that on Tango. Even the songs I don't care about on Mirage are superior to most of Tango IMHO. Like you, I don't hate it. Tango is one of the few albums I never replaced with a CD. (Yes I was still buying tapes in 1987).
Everywhere is a cute song (album version) but the brilliance of it is lost in the programmed synth sound. Its fine in an elevator and it ran out of gas in the mid teens without being a bigger hit. The band took it to new levels live in concert. I can only imagine a studio version of this. The song has an incredible melody and the faster tempo live really makes you dive into the song that makes you sing along. Its also more organic (to use a Lindsey term). The album version is fine and cute but I will take the live version any day. Its brilliant. It could have been the biggest hit of the album IMHO.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 05-12-2021 at 05:11 AM..