View Single Post
Old 01-26-2021, 05:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I don't think Tango sounds dated. It sounds fresh to me. I think there are parts that sound dated and Stevie sticks out like a sore thumb on this album. However, it works for me.

I'll do my running list later, but I would kick it off with Hold Me. I love how it punches the speakers after the piano riff.
Go back on all the previous Mac albums.....listen to all that piano and keyboards. Tango barely has any Christine playing. For just that reason alone, I think BTM is a better album. Its a group effort and you can hear Christine play again. Besides Isnt It Midnight, you dont hear John play his typical storm of bass playing either. No computer programming and drum machines either. IMHO, Everywhere would have been a bigger hit without the programmed timing and computerized bass. Just imagine it being a bit like it is live with real instruments. While the studio cut is fine especially for 1987/88, they sacrificed their sound. Finally on Isnt It Midnight we hear Christine play keyboards, John's pounding, thumping bass, and Lindsey's guitar. Songs like Caroline were better left for Lindsey's solo album. But I get it, Lindsey had his hands partly tied while making the album and we should be thankful it even happened.
Sadly, cocaine addiction gave us crappy Stevie Tango songs and klonopin addiction gave us crappy BTM songs. The funny part and irony is Christine stated she was the only one that really enjoyed making Tango. Lindsey had Mick and Stevie's substance issues to deal with. John had to get his groove back to play. Apparently Christine just loves making music no matter what

Last edited by Macfan4life; 01-26-2021 at 08:24 AM..