View Single Post
Old 06-10-2008, 03:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaidSomething View Post
Thank you for your insight...you know I'm going to beg to differ.

My airline a few years ago was worldwide #1 and it's shrinking everyday. I just have a problem with an American based company...that has been here for ever in the airline industry...that started in America...and yes, we travel the world...however, don't you think quality=quality? By this...say, you love grapes. You die for them everyday. You finally get some of a street corner...and they smell like poison...would you eat them? Probably not. The outsourcing of jobs have made the cusomers and the agents and upper management and the papers and news...and everybody unhappy. I, swear...I love my job. I've got no where to go anyway...I take pride in my work. Not to say the outsourced doesn't but, back to the grapes. You wouldn't eat the grapes...no more than you would outsource your passengers saftey...and "the thing" that keeps them coming back to your airline. I't dumb. When it all started almost 8 years ago...it didn't work then...and it really isn't working now.

You guys are cool...

I'll blog more but, I'm zzzzzz

Jim
Again, I am not attempting to argue with you for some intellectual entertainment, but I think you miss the point. The airline industry in the US has shrunk because of competition. In the recent past US airlines used to block book ‘slots’ at European airports e.g. Heathrow. It meant that no other airline could land irrespective of whether other airlines wanted to use the airport. This meant that the likes of American Airlines and United (with British Airways) ran a virtual cartel. Virgin airlines forced the issue in Europe, whereas in the past, people like Freddie Laker went out of business. The upshot was that the industry was made more competitive through regulation and only those with the best ‘value for money’ tariffs have survived. No airline can be the cheapest to every destination – it can’t be done and you know that.

I ignored the safety thing first time ‘round because I didn’t like the assertion you made that people outside the US don’t care about aircraft safety. Fact is, the safest airline is Quantas and they aren’t American. Planes aren’t dropping out of the sky across the world and there is no evidence to suggest that an engineer in Hong Kong can’t do a job as effectively as someone in New York.

I live in Chicago and can see the pain that United airlines staff are facing. But it is economics – full stop. If BA offer $600 return to London and United $800, people want the cheapest and no fancy in flight meal will change that I'm afraid.