Thread: I can't
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2003, 10:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: I can't

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
I've actually heard quite a few fans (and critics) say this. That 'Say You Will' sounds like two solo albums pieced together.

It's funny though, because I actually find 'SYW' to be far more cohesive than, say, 'Mirage' and 'Tusk.' Especially the latter.

Stevie's & Lindsey's (and Christine's) writing styles are so different, that I think there's always going to tend to be a bit of a fragmented feel to the albums.
"Say You Will" sounds really disjointed to me, too, but not because of the supposed different writing styles. The three of them don't write songs all that differently: they're all pretty basic I-IV-V songwriters. I think the schizoid nature of the album is due to the unconnected sense you get of the ambience & sound. The album's lengthy, scattered, confused gestation shows, unfortunately. By contrast, "Tusk" & "Mirage" each took about a solid year in, for the most part, a single recording environment, & I think they both sound unified--like single projects, the way "Rumours" & "Fleetwood Mac" do. You never get the sense from them that you're listening to different configurations of people, or even different bands, at different points in time, which you do get from "Say You Will." The presence of so many people over the years with their grubby hands on the mixing board probably contributes to the problem.