View Single Post
Old 05-31-2022, 09:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
I think Lindsey uses all three voices but just mixes the harmonies so their almost unidentifiable . (Book of Love/Empire States/Eyes of the World/Everywhere/Mystified etc……) He did the same thing with his songs on the Buck/McVie album.
It’s weird. Sometimes that decision works (I’m not sure band presence on a few of his Tusk songs would have improved them and, in fact, might have dulled their edges), but on a song like, say, “Eyes of the World,” multi-layered three-part harmonies could have given the song additional charm. I’m also thinking of the live versions of that song from 1982, where Chris and Lindsey are singing the single note calls-and-responses on the intro (I’ve heard some things like this in African Congo music) and then Stevie belts her harmonies on the chorus. That’s classic stuff. The live version is simply better, more energized, more “up” and more rock-n-roll.

Edit: And yes, I know that opening call-response on the live version is Pachelbel, but the execution of it reminds me of Pygmy folk music I once heard in a World Music class.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 05-31-2022 at 09:45 PM..