View Single Post
Old 02-04-2021, 11:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
Ok...I was a kid at the time and I remember both Hole and Smashing Pumpkins being a really big deal. However, I don’t ever recall hearing about their Fleetwood Mac covers AT ALL until well into the dance era.
I was in college, paying attention to alternative rock and Fleetwood Mac, and those songs were very popular. I’d hear them on the alternative station all the time, especially Gold Dust Woman. Why do you think they made a point of showing Courtney Love after they performed it on The Dance?

Quote:
Is it possible we’re over inflating the impact of those two covers as some sort of spark that began an inevitable comeback?
Really? Two of the biggest bands of that era cover Fleetwood Mac and people didn’t notice? Even Lindsey said that it was like Fleetwood Mac was suddenly not the enemy, or something to that effect.

Quote:
Yeah exactly. She wasn’t even able to book a full tour in 1996. Bingo.
I was under the impression she was taking a hiatus, but Stevie probably got $100,000 to play 6-8 songs. Not bad for not having an album out and nothing new to promote beyond a song from a soundtrack. Anyway, the momentum for a Fleetwood Mac reunion was in full force. After “Twisted” and the Kentucky Derby thing, it seemed inevitable.

Quote:
Classic Steve playbook. The old Lindsey vs Stevie sales comparison. We’re talking about Stevie, but let’s drag Lindsey into this to distract from what we’re actually talking about. Predictable.
Not a jab against Lindsey. Just pointing out that nobody says his career was in the tank after Go Insane, which like Street Angel, peaked at #45. Nobody says TITN saved his ass.

Quote:
I'm curious why we haven't talked about Christine's solo work and how it charted compared to Stevie, if we're going to play the "let's pit solo careers against each other to prove one is superior" game...despite the fact that nobody is trying to say one is more superior than the other.

Oh wait, Christine gets the golden pass. Again.
Christine didn’t aspire to be a solo artist. The label pressured her into it, Fleetwood Mac had nothing on the horizon, and she largely had Todd Sharp do the heavy lifting. That said, it peaked at #26 and had a Top 10 single.

Stevie had an actual solo career in which she had more hit singles than in Fleetwood Mac. Lindsey actually quit Fleetwood Mac to become a solo artist. Their solo work is very important to them. Christine couldn’t have cared less. She’d much rather just be in Fleetwood Mac.

Christine did The Dance as her swan song, not to help relaunch her career. She wanted to go out on a high note, especially after a turbulent decade. The one solo album she made after leaving was a one-off she did with her nephew and did almost no promotion for it. Aside from that, she retired.

THE Stephen Hopkins