View Single Post
Old 08-17-2020, 04:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
There is a little Denver on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85YeIeS_U0Q.

I have always loved the 1982 Meadowlands and the Detroit concerts on audience tape. There are not of course enormous differences between performances in the span of a five-week tour. There are smaller but still prominent differences in band tightness and adventurousness (especially from Mick and his fills) and certainly in Stevie's and Christine's vocals. I have long thought that the band filmed the wrong shows in 1982 - and 1987 and 2003 and . . . . You need to film a number of shows on a tour and settle on the best. Actually, if you have Fleetwood Mac's budget, you should film twenty shows. I think that the band just didn't give a damn about recording concerts for posterity and those few products were an afterthought or were scrambled together by the band's assistants. The ugly, ill-lit footage from the Forum in 1982 is a case in point: How could a superstar band who created such lovely promo videos that year that advanced the art also release a feature-length concert video that looks as if it were shot by a local spot-news crew just passing by? And the audio - which couldn't even be cleaned up well for a deluxe Mirage release a few years ago - was atrocious. It was like a home recording of a kid in the sports arena audience.
I could be in the minority but liked the dark lighting at the Forum show. Of course I am watching it on TV. Stevie's Wild Heart tour also had extremely dark lighting. Maybe she used the same crew. You can see it at her Largo show.
IMHO there was something magical about the Mirage shows and the darkness added to the mood.
But from what I have seen of the Tusk shows, they were also quite dark. I dont think until the 80s did bands do the full lighting at concerts.