View Single Post
Old 03-23-2021, 12:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
It did for me. That video was the perfect visual complement to that song. Had there been no music videos at the time, I suspect “Hold Me” would still have reached #4 in the US, because it’s just that kind of song—a surefire hit. “Gypsy” would likely have done well, too, but I doubt it would have had such longevity in the public imagination without the video. This is not a knock at that song, which is lovely, but an acknowledgment of how crucial visuals were in Stevie Nicks’ mass appeal. Christine made and sang earworms. We didn’t need to see “Say You Love Me” or “Everywhere” in order to be charmed by them. In fact, they were made to be savored on airwaves. But Stevie’s power is so completely tied to her stage presence, her theatrical skills in song performance.
I was already neck deep in my fandom when Mirage came along, so I'd have worshiped it regardless, but the Gypsy video truly seemed like a work of art at the time.

It's amazing how quickly $he slid downhill with her drug use, song writing, and voice. From the Bella Donna masterpiece in 1981 to the TURD OSOTM in 1989. Drugs are bad kids....

And yes, Chris is the earworm queen! It amazing how she always finds such catchy hooks!