View Single Post
Old 02-08-2023, 09:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Lyrically the song is totally incoherent.

She may have had a clear idea in her head of what she wanted to say, but it didn't make it to the song.

Early songwriter Stevie, who carefully crafted her words (Dreams is impeccable, Landslide is excellent, Silver Springs, or her longer more "epic poem" songs like Storms, The Highwayman, Beauty and the Beast, and even some later stuff like Doing the Best That I Can) is nowhere to be found on this song. It's kinda sorta catchy (I'm going by the demo, haven't heard this new version) musically but...... it's from that era when she started demo'ing interesting IDEAS for songs but then never actually fleshing them out properly, thinking her rough ideas were sufficient. She came to believe any turd she dropped was classic without any need for polishing. I feel bad for Dolly who has always put work into crafting her songs for having to sing this stinker. Stevie is amazing for her lack of any ability to be embarrassed.
Ya gotta love her, it's either great or incoherent. No middle ground...well maybe that's Silver Girl

I'm sure there will be very little re-writing and it will be pretty close to the demo. She's doubled down on her stance that her demos are as good as it gets. Which is...delusional.

It's insane to think she witnessed Lindsey and the band turn a lot of her songs into signature classics, yet she's ok with Waddy's hacky version of Gypsy and convinced that her demos are better than anything a seasoned professional could bring to the table. The session players in Nashville that did 24k Gold must have been so bored. They literally recreated demo tracks that were 30 years old that were nothing to write home about it in the first place. Easy paycheck for them, but couldn't have been a particularly fun or rewarding session to be part of.

Last edited by BigAl84; 02-08-2023 at 09:40 AM..