View Single Post
Old 01-13-2022, 06:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I chose “Love Is Dangerous” because it’s generically good, a solid performance where she seems engaged enough with the lyric to make some fire happen, but I think you’re right about “Freedom.” Even if (for me) the song isn’t her best, she sings with conviction there. She believes what she’s saying—and that is no small thing. Where we disagree is with her last great FM song: I think at least four of her SYW songs surpass anything she did with FM since Tusk.
I think Stevie’s vocals on Love is Dangerous are incredible. She clearly seems inspired by Rick Vito here, and she knocks it out of the park. “Echoes of emotion and the visions of a fool/echoes of forbidden ground and it’s too good to be true/too good to be true” sound especially good. I have no idea what they’re talking about, but it sounds damn good.

Freedom is interesting to me. I like it, but when I heard the entire album, I remember thinking there was not one Stevie song I could imagine being played on the radio, with the possible exception of Love is Dangerous. I realized it was going to fall completely on Christine’s shoulders to sell BTM, and she certainly delivered. But Freedom just can’t compare to her classic songs, and I agree with aleuzzi that she had some better material on Say You Will.