View Single Post
Old 08-27-2022, 01:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
You could probably argue that like so many bands of their era, they started to become a nostalgia act from a live perspective in the 90's...or maybe even as early as Behind the Mask. How many people were going to see them in 1990 to hear Love is Dangerous or Stand on the Rock?

If the criteria is avoiding new music or not touring to promote a new album, then I guess they became one fully in 2009. "Unleash the furies"...shut up Stevie. Instead of doing something interesting (hello, Tusk at 30...do a Tusk heavy set and celebrate a re-release of the album or something), they elected to just come out and say we're playing a greatest hits set. Without a doubt that's when they officially became nostalgia. Of course in 2013 they had the EP and the two songs from that in the set. Whatever they did in 2018-19 was 100% nostalgia with 2 band members on stage who never created music with this band once.
True but at least they had a new album to promote and play live. The 1990 concerts were especially important because Rick and Billy both recorded new songs for the album. We got a nice sampling of new songs which showcased the "new" band. They were trying to erase the "Lindsey replacements" stigma. It was their band now with their own songs.

I dont hate the Dance new songs but I always found it a bit lazy. Stevie's demo of Street Girl was better than the Mac's live performance of it.

2 huge missed opportunities for the band: regrouping a bit earlier and recording a studio album before The Dance tour and instead of running back on the road in 2014 after a huge 2013 tour, a studio album and touring in 2015. But money is more important than art these days. The rush to commit to another tour in both instances without new material appealed to everyone (maybe not Lindsey). Its easy. You dont have to fight in the studio and you get filthy rich. They are not alone. Its what all the bands do now. The money made from touring with ticket prices far exceeds the desire for new songs.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 08-27-2022 at 01:20 PM..