View Single Post
Old 08-15-2022, 11:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Macfan4life you made a lot of interesting points. Spot on about how it feels when someone else points out something you’ve noticed, as well. It’s a cool feeling.

Straight Back is a quintessential Stevie song, so I also was surprised at some of the comments by the panel. I believe the quote that everyone was trying to remember Stevie saying was “I offer a bunch of songs to FM and they tend to pick the weird ones” or something to that effect. Straight Back and Gypsy fit that bill, so it’s a great surprise they included That’s Alright, which is much more of a straight forward country song. A nice counterpart to Gypsy and Straight Back. Macfan, I’ve been meaning to ask if you heard the version of Straight Back by Washed Out on the FM tribute album? They take it to a whole new level.

Love in Store, I think everyone here likes. Unfinished may not be the right word, but I know what they mean. It’s almost like an instrument is missing, or something like that. I still love it, though, and the harmonies are why FM is so good.
Straight Back is incredible. The bass, the keyboards, the drums, the acoustic guitar, electric guitar, the singing, the lyrics. It all comes together perfectly. Like Mac fashion on Mirage, the overdubs are very profound and some could say over done. What confuses people is the song does not really have a chorus. Neither does Gypsy. That confuses people who are always looking for that catchy chorus. Some of the best songs ever recorded dont have a chorus....Stairway to Heaven for example.

He remembers a melody
He remembers how good it can be

I cant help to think those lines are about Lindsey since most of what she wrote was about him.

What was mentioned about the meaning of the song is correct. Stevie wrote it being forced to go back to the Mac. The dream (her solo career) was not over. The dream is just away You fill fly like little wing back to the Sun (the Mac). The dream was not over. The dream has just begun. I think the song needed to go on Mirage no matter what. Chris backing Stevie on "wolf on the run" line always gives me goosebumps.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 08-15-2022 at 11:52 AM..