View Single Post
Old 12-31-2010, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
with many people here saying mac should've played it safe in 2003, and have their usual love-related song instead of peacekeeper as the first SYW single, the whole discussion reminded me of something that Dave Stewart tweeted few days ago:

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"
I actually am not advocating they should have played it safe at all. I just think they could have made a far better statement had they whittled the material down to what they actually wanted to say. There are just so many songs, and so many directions on the album. I think the more experimental tracks are actually my favorites: Illume, Murrow, Come, Smile At You, etc. I totally applaud the band for being so brash as to still try forward movement at that point in their career. At the same time, forward movement is not necessarily always movement in the right direction. The whole problem with SYW was Lindsey brought fully finished songs to the table, and splice those next to the Stevie songs which were fully fleshed out within the confines of Fleetwood Mac. Hence their disjointed sound when listened to next to one another. I think they could have worked with that though, had they simply trimmed several excess songs... and come up with a definitive direction/sound. The only reason I feel Destiny Rules should have been the lead single is it was safe and identifiable for record listeners. You hook them with that, then draw them into what you're really about and wanting to say . Just my two cents of course